Sunday, June 15, 2008

Mission Accomplished!

Finally got the damned black-eyed peas planted.

Friday afternoon, that persnickety tiller cranked and, mercifully, continued to run long enough to let me finish preparing the pea patch. Pop-Pop has a gizmo - a thing that looks like a miniature bicycle-on-a-stick - that plants seeds and covers them up as it goes. After about 8 hours of tilling and raking, the planting took about 2 minutes.

Just after dark that very evening, Mother Nature gently watered the garden. Those peas should be up in no time.

We had enough seeds to plant four half-rows. This means that I now have four empty half-rows. In that space, I may plant a few more tomatoes for a late crop. Might also plant some pumpkins for the grandkids, just for fun.

The butterpeas I planted earlier in the week are beginning to sprout. Mattie's lettuce is coming up, too.

Yesterday afternoon, when I was walking the perimeters of the garden (it's still too wet to walk down the rows), I saw a brown rabbit, as big as a Cocker Spaniel, sprint toward the woods.

I hope he doesn't like peas.

No comments:

Post a Comment