Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Misery loves company

I just read that Martha Stewart lost most of her tomato crop to blight this year.

http://www.themarthablog.com/2009/08/the-tomato-blight-in-my-garden.html?pid=11184#gallery-jump11184

I feel so much better.

Not that I have anything personal against Martha. In fact, I've been her fan for many years. So I'm not happy that blight got her tomatoes. In fact, I commiserate with her for her loss.

The point is that she has a lot of resources at her disposal. (I am particularly envious of her helpers, Shaun and Wilmer). She probably has the healthiest soil money can buy; I bet it's positively bristling with exquisite home-made compost; I bet there's not a weed or a blade of grass anywhere within the confines of the garden plot. And you know Shaun and Wilmer busted their asses picking off diseased leaves and dusting/spraying the vines with organic fungicides the minute the first signs of blight appeared. Shoot, I bet they even slept in the garden. (I mean, come on...how would YOU like to be the one to break the news to Ms. Stewart that her heirloom tomatoes are croaking?) So if her tomatoes can catch blight, the rest of us don't stand a chance.

Martha, if you're reading this, don't save seeds from this year's crop, and throw away those nice bamboo canes and get new ones. And if you figure out how to stop the blight from coming back next year, drop me a line.

------------

No comments:

Post a Comment