Friday, January 15, 2010

The Itch

Yesterday, a friend/co-worker laid a seed catalog and a pack of Post-It Note strips on my desk. She said that she was going to order a few things, and that if I wanted some things, too, I should tag them and we'd place a combined order. My heart skipped a beat. I opened the seed catalog with the same excitement I used to feel when opening the Sears Christmas Wish Book for the first time each year.

I ordered lettuce, chili peppers, fava beans, two kinds of sunflowers, larkspur, and, just for kicks, "dinosaur" gourds.

It was a stroke of luck that, while I was still whipped into a gardening frenzy from thumbing through the seed catalog, The Husband showed up at my work. One thought had led to another, you see, and by then I had moved past dreaming of seeds to thinking of other supplies I will need from the garden center - lime, fertilizer, metal fence posts, etc. - things that will not easily fit into my Jeep. But The Husband was in his pickup truck. He had plenty of room, and plenty time to run an errand. I grabbed a pencil and paper and made a "honey-do" list.

It turned out that I was only moderately successful in moving this job from my "to do" list to his. The garden center had the fertilizer and the fence posts, but it was out of lime. They're expecting a new shipment today, so The Husband went ahead and paid for the lime, and they gave him an I.O.U. We've swapped vehicles today so that I can run by the garden center after work.

I'm itching to dig, to spread that lime, to set those fence posts and string the wire support, so that when the time is right for planting sweet peas, I can run out there, poke them in the ground, and stand back to watch the bumper crop appear. Alas, it's supposed to rain this weekend, so I may not get to scratch this itch for a few more days.

----------------

No comments:

Post a Comment