Sunday, February 20, 2011

'Tater Plantin'

The potatoes are in the ground, three long rows of them.  My son and his wife helped.  Tomorrow, we may all three be so "stove up" that we can't get out of bed.  'Tater planting is hard work!  The twenty-five pounds of seed potatoes yielded nearly a five-gallon bucket of potato chunks.  As I dug the trenches for the first two rows, my helpers came behind me, one dropping potatoes in the row, the other covering them up.  I gave out at the end of row two, and my son took over the trenching.  At the end of row three, he was pooped, too.  We looked in the bucket; it was still half full.  I looked at my son, and he looked at me.  He said, "Let's chunk 'em." 

"I second that.  Don't let Pop-Pop see, though."

We waited until Pop-Pop went back in the shed, then my son pitched the contents of the bucket over the hill.

Watch those lay there and grow better than the ones we planted.

We also planted some red onions, some fava beans, and some carrots.  (I have never had even one carrot seed sprout in the garden, but I had a packet of seeds, so I planted them.)  There is still plenty of room for cabbage and broccoli.

Yesterday, when the men-folk were in charge of preparing the soil, they decided we needed a new tiller.  I ordered one from Sears today, one that has an electric starter (yahoo!) and a handle that swivels to the side so that the operator can walk in the middles while he/she tills the rows.  It should be here Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment