Thursday, May 19, 2011

Butterbeans & Fungicide

Something is killing the tomatoes.  We've lost nearly half of what we planted two weeks ago.  They're just shriveling up.  Pop-Pop thinks that they've had too much water; I'm not so sure it's not a fungus that's causing it.  In any case, I sprayed fungicide yesterday on all of the tomatoes, dead and alive.  This weekend, I'll replace the dead ones with new ones that Nanny sprouted from seeds.

We planted two rows of butterbeans yesterday.  While I was out there trying to till up the rows, Pop-Pop came out on his scooter to supervise.  The soil was a bit too wet for ideal plowing, and I was having trouble getting my rows straight.  Pop-Pop suggested that, rather than watching the spot where I was tilling, I ought to pick a spot at the end of the row and continuously aim for it.  I understood his theory, but putting it into practice was a little easier said than done, for the tiller seemed to have a mind of its own.  We'll let the soil dry a little more before we start tilling for the green beans and peas.

In the squash hills, what few seeds that the critter didn't find have sprouted.  I'll have to replant if we're to have enough plants to make that bumper crop I was hoping for.

Earlier in the week, I harvested the first batch of fava beans.  Some of the information I saw online about fava beans said to peel off the thick outer skins, others said not to bother.  I shelled this first picking and cooked them without peeling them.  Didn't like them with the skins on, so I'll be peeling the next batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment