Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Tiling the Shower (Days 7 - 11)

I bet you've been dying to hear what's been going on in the shower since Thursday.

The answer is, "Not much."  Nothing, in fact.

By Friday of last week, I was plumb pooped.  I got up that morning and went to the office for a while.  Got home around 11:30 a.m., and was planning to finish up the few stray bits of tiling that remained to be done.  I'd made a detour by the lumber company on the way home to buy a manual tile cutter, for the pieces that remained to be cut were little bitty things that I was afraid to cut with the wet saw.  The tile-cutting thing did not come with any instructions, and I could not get the blasted thing to cut a tile without breaking it in the wrong spot.  I was bone tired and short on patience, and I said, "Screw this," and went to read a book for the rest of the afternoon.

That evening, when we went for our regular Friday margarita night, we were sitting there, having the first sips of our frozen margaritas, when this lady came walking through the restaurant, wearing the big birthday sombrero, shaking a basket of tortilla chips, calling, "Chips!  Salsa!"  She passed by our table, then turned around, and behold!  It was my friend, come all the way from Georgia for a surprise weekend visit!  Though she said she brought her "grouting clothes," I spared her.  Truth was, I was pooped, and did not want to start the grouting job.  Her visit was a welcome excuse for a respite from the tile project.

But I am slowly preparing for the grout job.  Went to a different tile store today and found some trim for the final spot that had me stumped.  Bought a giant beater-thing that goes in the drill to mix up the grout.  Maybe we can glue up the trim strips during the evenings this week, and start the grouting this weekend.

I've not done much in the garden in a week, except to peek under the squash, zucchini, and cucumber plants and inspect the tomatoes for worms.  Everything is looking good.  Nanny's already made a couple of batches of cucumber relish.  The tomatoes are starting to ripen.  Beans and peas are putting out runners and blooms.  Okra is about ready to bloom. 

And it's 100 degrees in the shade, here - way too hot to work in the garden except for early morning and dusk.  A small measure of relief from the heat is in sight for the weekend, but there isn't much to do except wait on the veggies to grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment