Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Sears, Part II

The saga continues.

The Sears repairman came on September 6, about 1 p.m.  Naturally, the refrigerator was not making the offending noise when he arrived.  I explained to him that my diagnosis was that there was frost building up on the freezer fan, and that the blades eventually knocked off the ice for a time, then it would build up again.  He said he suspected that I was absolutely right, since it is a common problem.  He said that the culprit was the half-tube that feeds water into the ice-maker.  Since it's only a half tube (like a mini-water slide), water splashes when it squirts into the ice-maker.  He slipped a whole piece of tube over the existing half-tube, and said that oughta do it.

The fridge started making the noise again this weekend; this time, it's a serious snarl instead of a low purr. 

Today, I took a deep breath, and dialed the Sears repair service again.  The deep breath was to keep me from going all ape-shit on them right off the bat.  After giving the customer service rep. all of the necessary info, we began to talk about appointment times.  I took another deep breath and said, "Can we talk, girl to girl?"  She said we could.  I told her about the crap we've been through, so far, with this refrigerator.  My main complaint was that the repair service historically hasn't done what it said it would do, when it said it would do it.  I asked her to please flag the call, somehow, to let these people know that I'm already irked.  She said she would.

I can't get a repair appointment until September 30, 10 days from now.  The time will be between 8 and 5.  They're supposed to call 30 minutes in advance of coming. 

We'll see.

Meanwhile, I have video-taped the freezer with my cell phone, to capture the noise.  I've also taken snapshots of the freezer contents, because if this problem is as big as it's beginning to sound, Sears may have to buy me some groceries.

No comments:

Post a Comment