Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Seeds Up!

Thanks to the good rain, the rattlesnake beans, zucchini, and okra seeds shot out of the ground sometime between Sunday evening and Tuesday afternoon. 

Today, I hammered metal fence posts into the ground along the bean rows and strung wire between them, top and bottom.  As soon as I can find my roll of jute (or buy another one), I'm going to make a web between the two wires for the beans to climb. 

The garden is looking really good.  Corn is shoulder high, but isn't "tassling" yet.  Squash are producing.  Tomatoes are coming along.  Cucumbers are blooming, and here and there I'm seeing tiny little pickles.  The peppers are peppering.  The volunteer butterpeas are blooming.  Even the carrots are doing well!

No sign of any bugs today, except one squash bug.  I picked him off and crushed him with my shoe.  Tomorrow or the next day, I'll need to spray fungicide again to stay ahead of the blight.

No comments:

Post a Comment