Tuesday, June 25, 2013

First Squash

We picked our first mess of squash on Sunday.  We gave some of it to our son and his family, and sauteed the rest (with onions and hot peppers) for supper that night.  I picked another 2-gallon bucket full this afternoon.  This weekend I'm going to drag the canning equipment out of the attic and make some squash pickle when the next batch of squash gets ready.

The garden is looking good, so far.  Beans and cucumbers are blooming.  Tomato plants have tangerine-sized tomatoes on them.  The okra is beginning to grow.  The rows are clean (mostly).

I watered the tomatoes and the squash today.  The hydrant closest to my garden is not in working order, and I had to use the one on the back of Nanny's house.  This required stringing several hoses together, dragging them for miles, and then dragging them all back and un-stringing them once the watering was done.  No more of that.  One day this week I'm going to buy the biggest hose cart/reel I can find.

No comments:

Post a Comment