Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Starting Over

Well, folk(s), I'm tired.

On the drive home from work today, I made a plan for the evening.  The Husband has gone to Nashville on business for a couple of days, and I was of a mind to come home, put on my comfy couch clothes, read a while, eat a bowl of cereal, and go to bed.  I've done all of that, except for the going to bed part.  But in between the coming home and the putting on of the couch clothes, I ran the big tiller for two hours. 

You see, last Saturday, after I saved that last post, I went to the garden and mowed it (well, much of it) down to the ground.  Umhmm.  Tired of picking green beans.  Cucumbers?  Tired of y'all, too.  Zooom.  Squash?  Had enough.  Vrooom.  When the mowin' was done, all that was standing were the tomatoes, the okra, the pumpkin plants (now in bloom) that The Grandsons planted, and a bunch of stubble.  I tried to run the tiller immediately after the mowing, but the ground was too wet. 

Since then, I've been planning.  Found a grocery sack full of seed packages in the freezer last week - all kinds of stuff.  Among them were butter beans and crowder peas.  According to the Internet, the butter beans need 60 days.  The crowders need 70.  Sixty days from now, it'll be the middle of October.  I decided to take a chance on a late frost, and plant them.

So, today I tilled.  Didn't finish.  It was still about 90 degrees outside, and I pooped out after the first passes up the rows where the cucumbers and peas had been.  Thought about putting down some lime and fertilizer, but couldn't summon the energy to cut open the lime bags.  Still have a long way to go before I put those seeds in the ground.

But, as Scarlett said, "Tomorrow's another day."


No comments:

Post a Comment