Monday, April 14, 2014

Early Tomatoes


It was so warm last week that I could not resist picking up a couple of 4-packs of tomato plants.  Late Saturday morning, I set them out in the garden and mulched them with straw.  I also began planting a row of Mascotte beans, but I hadn't gotten far down the row when The Husband announced that we were supposed to meet some folks for lunch, so I had to quit.   To be honest, I wasn't all that sorry to quit.  Having decided to try "no till" gardening this year, I had to poke individual holes for the beans, rather than opening up a furrow with the tiller then running the bicycle-on-a-stick planter down the row.  It was a pain.  The ground was really too wet to be planting things, anyway. 

Last night, we had stormy weather.  After sunrise, the temperature went down instead of up.  There's a frost warning out for tonight.  Figures.  The ONE YEAR I actually get to plant something early, and we have a late frost. 

Maybe the tomatoes will be safe nestled in their straw beds.

No comments:

Post a Comment