Saturday, March 21, 2015

Spring 2015 Pre-Season Countdown


I did a little blogging elsewhere today and thought I might ought to hit this one a lick while I was at it.

In truth, I have very little to report in the gardening department.

You may recall from previous posts that last year's garden was a complete bust.  I spent a lot of time, effort, and money trying out a "no-till gardening" method that was part of the reason for the garden's epic failure (the bizarre weather pattern being another).

Before last year's gardening season was even over, I resolved to do better in 2015.  To that end, last fall, I cleaned off the garden debris and removed the existing support structures  (something I rarely do until the spring), and I attempted to "burn off" the garden spot, which had grown tall grass during my abandonment phase.  The damned thing would not burn.  Oh, the tall grass caught fire and vanished in a quick "poof," but the layers of hay and newspaper in the row - the stuff I really wanted to burn - would not catch fire.

The Husband went to the garden a few weeks ago and attempted to set fire to it again.  Same result.  And since then we've had snow and ice and rain, so all that compacted stuff is now re-soaked and probably won't dry up until July.

We may try one more burning before we turn it all under with the breaking plow come spring.  I suppose that hay and newspaper might eventually be good for my soil, but it's probably going to eat up a bunch of good soil nutrients in the process. 

I should probably be down there, right now, spreading lime and chanting magic spells over the soil.

No comments:

Post a Comment