Saturday, July 25, 2015

The Writing on the Wall


When our younger son was about 3 or 4 years old, he had a burning desire to write on walls.  At first, it was just scribbles, then, when he learned to write his name, it started appearing in place of the scribbles.  He used to write the letter "L" backwards.  I went in his room one day and caught him, red-handed, writing his name on the wall, backwards "L" and all, with blue magic marker.  When I saw it, I asked him, "Who did that?"  He put the magic marker behind his back right quick, and said, "Josh" (his older brother). 

Yesterday, in preparation for a painter who is supposed to come this week, I began removing wallpaper from the hallway outside his room.  Under the very first strip I removed, I found this about waist high on the wall:


He'd learned to write his "L" properly by then.

I texted him:

 

Seconds later came his reply:


I didn't believe it 28 years ago, either.  ;)

* * * * *

I was still peeling wallpaper when The Husband came home from work.  He came in bearing a tub of about 60 ears of corn that my aunt had sent to me. 

Jeez!  I'd had my weekend all planned!  I was going to visit Mother (it's her birthday).  I was going to peel off the wallpaper in the entry hall.  I was going to digitize and sew some embroidery designs for a baby quilt that needs to be done in a month.  I was going to walk down to the garden, see how it's doing, maybe pluck a tomato worm or two.

But when somebody hits you with 60 ears of good corn, if you're smart you'll give it high priority.

And so I rolled out of bed at 6 a.m., did some digitizing, went to see Mother, went to the grocery store for canning supplies, and came home ready to battle the corn.  Thankfully, The Husband had already shucked it and was silking it when I got here.  While he did that, I went to work chopping peppers, onions, and celery for corn relish.  Those 60 ears produced 16 pints of relish and 4 quarts of creamed corn, which I cooked and froze. 

As I was doing the corn, The Husband started peeling the entry hall wallpaper.  Like the other wallpaper, it's been there 25 years, and it showed no signs of letting go any time soon.  It took me close to 5 hours to get the paper off the hallway walls yesterday, and The Husband and I spent close to 9 hours removing the entry hall paper.  Our feet hurt.  Our necks and shoulders hurt.  We have bits of paper stuck to us.

Of all the ideas I have had today, going to bed right this minute sounds like the best.  Check you later.

No comments:

Post a Comment