Saturday, August 4, 2018

Garden Report - 8/4/2018


You know what I think?

I think that gardens ought to be planted in the spring, when juices are flowing and plants are in the mood.

I say this because my last two late-planted gardens (this year's garden was rain-delayed until the end of May) have sucked.

For the plants, it must be like arriving at a party after the guest of honor has gone. 

The squash has managed to struggle, sunburned, through last month's ferocious heat, and they are loaded with blooms, but the plants pop out only a squash or two every few days.  Considering the number of "hills" I planted, I should be giving away squash if they were making properly. 

Same deal with the cucumbers. 

The tomatoes don't seem interested in ripening.  I saw one half-ripe tomato earlier in the week.  Some critter got it before I did.  Some other critter is nibbling at the green tomatoes and dropping them in the ground.  Oh, and a deer (or something of an equivalent size) bedded down ON two of the vines; there's a big "wallow" in the row.

The green beans are blooming half-heartedly.  Maybe they're waiting on cooler weather, like they did one other year. 


No comments:

Post a Comment