Monday, June 22, 2020

Killer Horseflies - June 19, 2020

Last Friday night after supper, we walked down to Nanny's to take her a plate of enchilada casserole.  While The Husband took the plate in, I went out to check on the garden.  The tomatoes that I'd planted Wednesday were laying down, limp, on the ground.  I panicked and started stringing the water hoses together.  Nanny found a sprinkler that has been stored on her back porch since the last time I raised a garden.  The Husband came out and hooked it up, and we were in business.

While the sprinkler ran, The Husband and I chopped a little grass in the areas where the sprinkler wasn't reaching.

Then the horseflies found us.

At first, it seemed they were just doing a little aerial reconnaissance, but then they got serious and started zooming in close.  The Husband and I looked like we were doing jujitsu, trying to swat them away.  One even chased The Husband across the yard.  The thing about horseflies is that when they get through doing their reconnaissance and come in for the bite, they go into stealth mode.and sneak up on you.  Those bites will drive you mad with itching.

I went back to the garden on Saturday.  All but 3 of the tomatoes had straightened up and were looking better.  Three were stuck to the mud and were struggling.  I peeled them off the ground, loosened up the soil around them, and watered them with a bucket.  It rained yesterday, and is raining again this minute, so the tomatoes may now be drowning.



No comments:

Post a Comment