Saturday, July 12, 2008

Whoooo-wee, it's hot!

Last Sunday, the husband and I hitched up our little camper and towed it to Alabama, just south of Birmingham, for a few days of R & R. It was a good trip, but the weather was hotter than blazes. It rained every day - just quick showers, enough to turn the place into a steam bath. Every time it would rain, I would think about my garden and hope was raining at home.

We came home yesterday. This morning, I went to the garden. Nanny had been picking tomatoes and cucumbers all week and had a few jars of relish on the counter to show for it. The butterbeans are blooming up a storm, but we still don't have much of a crop of anything. It rained here on Thursday; maybe that will help.

The seeds I planted last week - squash, carrots, and beets - still haven't sprouted. I noticed that some large animal or some small human had walked on the "hills" where I had planted the squash seeds. I do believe that Madison may have done a little gardening while I was away.

My sister learned about a greenhouse that was giving away tomato plants, and she brought some to me. They are unusual varieties that bear fruit that's striped, or some color besides red. I'll be setting them in the ground this afternoon, after the sun goes down.

No comments:

Post a Comment