Monday, August 18, 2008

Fall Gardening

I dug the potatoes this evening. They did not produce much of a crop. (Pop-Pop saw my two pitiful little sacks of potatoes and said, "Well, you got your seeds back.") If we were counting on the potato crop to get us through the winter, we'd be in trouble.

After I dug the potatoes, I tilled up the rows and planted sweet peas in their place. Even though the almanac says that the "moon favorable" days for peas have passed, the seed package said the planting dates were "Jan.-Feb." and "August," and, by golly, it's still August, so they into the ground they went.

I pulled up a few spent tomato plants. Since we've had a few rain showers lately, some of the tomato plants have started blooming again. I left those alone, thinking they might catch their second wind. Tomorrow, I'm going to cut the sunflowers and hang the heads to dry before the birds get any more of the seeds.

The billiard-ball squash plants that I planted about a month ago are blooming. I can't wait to see what they produce. Pumpkin vines are looking good. The watermelons have a few melons on them, one almost big enough to eat.

The pole bean vines may be the next to go. So far, they have been a huge disappointment. The vines are lush and gorgeous. They bloom. They just haven't made any beans. We've had one meal of green beans from those vines all summer. I keep hoping they'll wake up and make beans, but so far all they've done is take up space. The straight-neck squash have been almost as disappointing.

On the bright side, we've had a good crop of tomatoes, cucumbers, and black-eyed peas. The butterbeans outdid themselves. The jury is still out on the butterpeas. (I planted them a little later than the rest of the beans, and then the rabbits ate the first few sets of leaves, setting them back a bit.)

In about a month, it'll be time to plant greens - turnips, mustard, collards, kale, and spinach. Last year, I planted my greens W-A-Y too thick. Maybe before next month, I can figure out how to sow them properly.

---------

No comments:

Post a Comment