Thursday, August 28, 2008

News Flash

It's settled: green beans respond to threats.

Remember that last week I gave my green beans a talking-to because they hadn't produced? By the end of the week, they were looking as though they might have listened, for on Saturday I gathered a couple of handfuls of beans, and saw many more that were too little to pick.

You ought to see them now!

Mother says that the more you pick green beans, the more they make, so I went to the garden this afternoon to gather what beans were there, hoping to spur them on. I was expecting to gather maybe another handful or two of beans. Boy, did I underestimate them! The vines are loaded with beans, and making more. I picked half a sack full of beans from about half a row of vines before it got too dark to see what I was doing. I'll go back in the morning to get the rest. It looks like I might get to can some beans, after all!

We love them small and tender. I'll pack them whole into pint jars and process them in the pressure canner. (I am scared to death of that thing.) They'll be yummy this winter, sauteed in garlic butter with mushrooms and pearl onions.

The new crop of green beans that we planted on the 16th is doing well. The butterbeans that we planted that same day have sprouted, too, but they look funny - kind of...crinkled and nappy, like they just got out of bed. Heh, I guess, in a way, they did!

-----------

No comments:

Post a Comment