Friday, July 17, 2009

Stocking the Pantry

So far, this week's tomato frenzy has resulted in:

5 quarts of canned tomatoes
4 quarts of tomato juice
10 pints of diced tomatoes spiced with onions and peppers
8 pints of sweet "chili sauce" relish (the stuff you eat on your black-eyed peas)

The tomato juice is probably more like tomato soup. My original plan was to make spaghetti sauce. After juicing the tomatoes, I put the juice back on the stove to cook some of the water out of it. About an hour later, I discovered I didn't have all the spices that I wanted for spaghetti sauce, so I just stopped the cooking and started the canning. It's nice, thick juice - may need to be thinned with vodka before serving. ;)

On deck for tomorrow: 7 pints (according to the recipe) of green tomato "picalilli."

---------------

No comments:

Post a Comment