Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Peas Are Up

The sugar snap peas and the broad beans I planted a couple of weeks ago are up.  It's about danged time - seems like I planted them ages ago.  We went out of town from the 23rd to the 31st, and the first thing I did when we got home was run to the early garden to see what had happened while I was gone.  Thankfully, the cabbage, onions, broccoli and brussels sprouts were still standing (no rabbits, yet - knock on wood), but only 2 of the bean seeds had sprouted, and none of the peas.  I was beginning to worry.  It looks like only  half of the broad beans are up.  Tonight's rain may encourage the stragglers.

The radishes are coming along, and I thinned them a little more today.  The lettuce is showing itself, but isn't nearly big enough to eat.  There's no sign of the larkspur, evil stuff.

I was pleased to find that the rosemary has over-wintered.  I intentionally left last year's fall leaves and dried weed stems around it, hoping they'd protect it.  Before we left on our trip, I pulled back the weeds and leaves and found dry rosemary stems, but no sign of life.  Today, it has new green needles.  I was also pleasantly surprised to find a very nice clump of green parsley among the dead weeds.  I should've picked some to use for supper.  Just now, as I have the thought to go back for some, the rain begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment