Friday, June 3, 2011

Peas

Another afternoon of tilling and planting has filled most of the garden rows and made the place look considerably more respectable.  Nanny and I planted two rows of purple-hull peas, three rows of black-eyed peas, and one row of butterpeas.  When I leave work today, I'm going in search of a few jalapeno pepper plants, which should about fill the remaining empty space in the garden.

The purple-hull pea seeds came from Nanny's freezer, remnants of last year's pea crop - straggler pods that dried on the vines.  The butterpea seeds were left-overs from a previous year that I found in my freezer.  Nanny wondered if we should thaw and/or soak the seeds before planting them.  I have heard that freezing seeds before planting them helps them germinate; supposedly, the moisture they release as they thaw helps the process.  We'll see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment