Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Folks, it's a red letter day.

Sunday, July 1, 2012:  I pulled two ears of ripe corn today.

At least, I hope they are ripe.  Having never had corn to actually ripen before the racoons got it, I'm not altogether sure when to pick it.

The tomatoes are beginning to ripen.  We gathered a few yesterday, and I made spaghetti sauce with them.    I'm growing some different varieties this year, tomatoes that don't turn red when they're ripe - Lemon Boy and Mr. Stripey.  It's hard to tell when they're ready.  I picked one of the Lemon Boys Friday afternoon, and Nanny and I lit into it with a kitchen knife and the salt shaker to taste it, but it wasn't quite ripe.  The Husband picked a Mr. Stripey yesterday.  I wasn't sure it was ready, either, but today I sliced it, anyway, and it was delicious.  The flesh was...buttery.  It was so big that one slice covered an entire piece of bread. 

I squished the first tomato worm this afternoon while I was watering the garden.  Time for a dose of BT.

The squash is still coming strong, as are the cucumbers.  I put up six pints of squash relish yesterday, and still had a couple of pounds of squash left over.  The Husband will probably give them away at work tomorrow.

The zucchini are beginning to bloom.  Rattlesnake beans are running nicely up their supports. 

No comments:

Post a Comment