Sunday, August 19, 2012

Fall Gardening


The summer garden is getting tired, and I am tired of fooling with it.  Yesterday, I decided that it was time to get rid of some of the most troublesome and least-producing areas.  I pulled up some tomatoes that weren't earning their keep.  The Husband cranked up the tractor and plowed and disked the front third of the garden, which was mostly sunflowers, scraggly tomatoes, and weeds.  So far, I've managed not to kill the broccoli and brussels sprouts that I started 3 weeks ago.  They have been transplanted into plastic drinking cups (just try and find peat pots or pellets around here this time of year) and are now living on my front porch.  In a couple of weeks, when this heat lets up, I'll move them to the garden.

Today, I made two more batches of pepper jelly.  I gave away at least half of the first batch.  It's kind of fun to make new pepper jelly converts.  Those who have never had it will crinkle up their noses and say, "Pepper jelly?"  But once I give them a jar and they try it, they're hooked.  Today's second batch also has onions in it (I was a tad short on peppers).  I haven't tasted it yet, but it smelled delicious while it was cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment