Sunday, May 26, 2013

Memorial Day Check-In

According to the Facebook tag, it was on April 7 that the Grandson and I planted some tomato seeds in those cool little expand-o peat pellets.  Of the 25 (or so) seeds we planted, only about 10 sprouted.  Today, I planted them in the garden.  I should've waited to let him help me plant them.  Maybe I'll put him in charge of their care. 

The rest of the garden is coming along so-so.  The first planting happened 10 days ago.  The seeds are starting to come up, but not as thickly as I would like.  It has rained several times since the seeds went in the ground, which compacted the dirt on top of the seeds.  Now, the soil has a crust, with a rupture down the center of each row where the seeds are trying to poke through.  I hope the rest of them make it; otherwise, I'll have to re-plant.

The SkeeterVac is humming along nicely.  We turned it on a week ago today, and I was worried that since we replaced the standard regulator with one made for gas grills we'd burn too much gas.  The tanks usually last for 14 days.  If this one runs out much sooner than that, I'll order the "official" one.  It seems to be catching bugs about like normal.  I wish it had caught the one that bit me above the eyebrow a couple of days ago.  It raised a monstrous knot on my head, and turned my eyelid an alarming shade of fuschia.

No comments:

Post a Comment