Sunday, February 9, 2014

Crazy Weather


When I left off writing last week, I'd just spent a weekend doing outdoor gardening.  It was warm enough that I sweated without a coat.  About 4 p.m. Sunday, I looked out of my kitchen window to find ice forming on the trees.  By the next morning, the trees were so heavy with ice that they were bending and breaking. 

Monday afternoon, as I was in the kitchen, pondering what to do about supper, I heard a CRACK! like a pistol shot, and a WHOOSH! and a sound like a thousand martini glasses crashing off a shelf.  I ran to the window in time to see the last of the ice shards cascading to the ground, right on top of the crippled leaf sweeper I'd parked under the trees.  The leaf sweeper was flat as a pancake under a huge limb. 

It snowed Friday night, came down pretty fast for a while, but only piled up a couple of inches, altogether.  Today, the temperatures rose, the snow mostly disappeared, and we have been hearing ice raining out of the trees.

And I've just been piddling around the house, thinking about how all that good moisture is going to flatten the leaves I've piled up in the middles, and soak the straw and newspapers and alfalfa pellets I've put atop the rows, and make my garden a rich paradise by spring.  ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment