Saturday, February 1, 2014

More Straw


It has been warm here for the past couple of days, but tomorrow the weather is supposed to get crazy (again).  I wanted to put more newspaper and straw on my planting rows before it starts raining.  My boss has been saving her newspapers for me, as has Nanny, and so yesterday when I got busy in the garden I had enough newspaper to finish using up the straw  I bought last weekend.  Those 10 bales of straw covered about 3-1/2 rows, probably 1/4 of the garden. 

Since The Husband was going to town this morning, I sweet-talked him into going to the farm store for more straw.  While he was gone, I hitched the lawn sweeper to my 4-wheeler and started gathering leaves from the yard to dump on the garden, thinking I'd rake it into the middles for weed control.  I made about 4 trips from the house to the garden before the sweeper quit working.  The Husband arrived back at home with a truck bed of straw about that time.  We took the sweeper apart and discovered that a plastic gear had cracked in two places, and some of the teeth were worn down, and it apparently doesn't have enough oomph to turn the brushes.  I searched online and called stores; evidently, replacement parts of this sort are not available.  Looks like we'll be shopping for a new lawn sweeper, and it needs to happen in time to let me get more leaves on the garden before spring arrives.

We unloaded our 10 new bales of straw and started distributing it down the rows.  Ran out of newspaper again, and quit.  The Sunday paper might finish up the straw bales. 


No comments:

Post a Comment