Friday, March 11, 2016

Wench


Mother Nature is an evil, duplicitous wench.  She flirts with spring just enough to entice me to put away my yarn and thread and fabric and such and reach for the gardening tools.  She lets me start outdoor projects, then she drives me inside with relentless rain.

The raised bed that the grandchildren planted would probably be empty, its soil and seeds having washed away in the deluge, except that I put a mesh screen over it and anchored the ends with unopened bags of garden soil.

Thank goodness I got that trailer-load of metal stuff hauled off before the yard turned into cake batter (we have a mole problem, as well).

And, let me tell you, that hauling job was no piece of cake.

The Husband and I hitched the junk-filled trailer to my Jeep on Sunday evening so I could take it to be recycled on Monday morning before work.  Monday morning, I checked a web site and discovered that the recycling place I intended to visit was not open on Monday.  I looked up another place not far away, got their phone number, and called them.  No answer.  But I figured, "Hey, it's a recycling place, and they are probably outside recycling."  So I hopped in the Jeep and drove over there.  The place was empty.  Gone.  And there I was with a trailer-load of junk attached to my Jeep, and time running out.

I came back home to un-ass the trailer so I could go to work without taking it with me.  When I finally got the hitch mechanism to turn loose of the ball, the tongue dropped onto my right foot.  Yeah, it hurt.  I couldn't check on my foot right away, because the trailer started rolling backwards.  Fortunately, I had not unhooked the chains, and they caught it.  Had to scotch the trailer and back the Jeep up to get enough slack to get the chains off.  Got to work 30 minutes late.

The next day, I re-hitched the trailer and got it to the recycling dump without incident.  Then I had to get the heavy sh*t off the trailer.  By myself.  When The Husband got home, we managed to get the trailer back in its resting place before the rain set in.

And it has rained ever since.  Eight inches in two days, and more on the way.

Time to drag out the yarn again.

Oh, and my foot is ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment