Saturday, April 15, 2017

Kale


Last year, we set several prefab raised bed frames in the back yard.  The Grandchildren and I planted lettuce, beets, spinach, and kale in one of them.  I planted flowers in one, and vegetables in another.  We had a long wet spell that drowned  most everything, followed by a long dry spell that withered up everything else that the critters didn't eat, except for one scraggly kale plant.

That kale plant grew and was just beginning to look nice when a worm found it, and ate it right down to its skeleton.  I left it where it sat, and it leafed out again, weathered the winter, and now look at it.  It is magnificent, and far too awesome to eat (that's it at the far end). 


The front end of the bed is planted with onions and garlic.  Every one of them came out of my Blue Apron box.  We get lots of onions and garlic in the box.  I plant the root ends of the scallions as I cut them off, and if the garlic sprouts, into the bed it goes.  I haven't bought green onions in months. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment