Monday, May 8, 2017

May 8 - Tomatoes, peppers, squash


Today was a perfect day, weather-wise.  As soon as I got home from work, I put on the gardening clothes and went down to Nanny's to check on the garden.  I've had a dozen tomato plants, a dozen pepper plants, and an eggplant living on my front porch for two weeks, but it's been too wet to put them in the ground.  (It is a miracle that they are still alive!)  I took them down to the garden, dragged the big tiller out of the shed, and re-plowed 5 rows of ground that was really a tad too wet for tilling.  But I had on my gardening clothes, and the weather was nice, and I had the time, so I planted the tomatoes and stuff in dirt that wasn't *quite* mud.  I also planted about 10 hills of squash and a couple of hills of zucchini.

I am trying an experiment this year.  Recalling how the Native Americans used to plant corn, squash, and beans together, I stuck a squash hill on both sides of one of the tomato plants, theorizing that maybe the squash leaves will help keep the weeds down between the tomatoes.  I'll let you know how that works out, weed-wise.

Tomorrow afternoon I hope to build a permanent fence for green beans and such.  I have all the stuff I need except The Husband's willingness to go along with the plant.  I'll let you know how that works out, too.  ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment