Friday, April 24, 2020

From the back porch - April 24, 2020


I am going to the office for a little while this morning.  I'm a little irked about it.  This was to have been my first day alone in the house all day, and I was planning to work on my book without distractions.  Sure, it won't take long to do what needs to be done at the office, but my mojo may be gone by the time I'm done.

Yesterday, I took Nanny to the doctor for a blood test.  Bless her heart, she hates it that she needs help, and she kept apologizing.  We both wore our face masks in the car.  I dropped her off at the door and stayed in the car while she had her test.  Truth is, it was kind of nice.  I took my sketch pad and tried to come up with an idea for The Granddaughter's quilt.

On the way to the doctor's office, I asked Nanny if she had my cell phone number so that she could call me to pick her up at the door when she was finished.  She pulled out her little flip phone and began scrolling through the numbers.  Bloop-bloop-bloop.  The number she had for me was my home number, so she began trying to add my cell number.  Bloop-bloop-bloop...P-Q-R-S...bloop-bloop...T-U....  I wanted to pull over, grab the phone, and put the number in, myself.  Instead, after about 30 minutes, I said, "Maybe you could just write my number down."  Bless her heart. 

When we headed out, I was worried that we would not be back in time for me to pick up my grocery order, which was scheduled for pickup between 2 and 3 p.m.  As it turned out, there was plenty of time for me to take her home and go back to the store for my groceries.  These days, picking up an online grocery order is a little bit like Christmas morning.  "What did I get?  What did I get?"  I ordered a jar of alfredo sauce and two jars of cheese sauce.  Instead, I got three jars of alfredo.  I ordered a large can of red enchilada sauce and a large can of green enchilada sauce.  I got two medium red sauces, and three medium green ones.  But I got the chicken I ordered, which has not happened in a couple of weeks.

While Nanny and I were out and about, we passed a fried chicken restaurant, and it gave me a craving that would not go away.  After I picked up my groceries, I stopped at a local place and picked up a WHOLE BUCKET of extra-crispy chicken (with fixin's).  Land sakes, it was good to eat someone else's cooking.  Cruel, selfish thing that I am, I ate all of the delicious, crunchy crumbs from the bottom of the bucket before anyone else got home.

Time to get going.  Tune in tomorrow for another exciting story.  ;)





No comments:

Post a Comment