Thursday, February 16, 2023

I'm getting that itchy, want-to-plant something feeling.  It's been coming on for a couple of weeks.

Last week, or thereabouts, I discovered that one of my African violets was producing a seed pod, which excited me since I'd been trying to make that happen.  That same day, in the freezer I found a bag - two bags, actually - of vegetable seeds that I'd ordered last year when they went on sale at the end of the season.  Sugar snap pea seeds were among them.  It's time to plant them, but it's been raining since Noah was in knee pants, and the garden hadn't been (and still hasn't been) prepared, so I put the seeds back in the freezer.  The next day, I took out about a dozen snap pea seeds and planted them on a pile of loose dirt in the backyard.  Sprinkled a few carrot seeds on top for good measure.  Birds have probably eaten everything by now, if the armadillo didn't beat them to it, but we'll see.

My tabletop greenhouse came in a few days later.  I haven't even opened the box.  It's too small.  I need something big enough to shine on a whole flat of tomatoes, but the light that came with the greenhouse will probably get only 3/4 of the flat.  Maybe I can subsidize the light situation with a sewing lamp.  

There's a big potting soil in my car.  I'm ready.

But it's too early.  Winter ain't over, yet.  There was a marble-sized hail storm last night, followed by a hard rain. Though it's nearly 70 degrees on the back porch this morning, temps are supposed to drop into the low 30s before the week is over.  

So I wait . . . . 




No comments:

Post a Comment