Saturday, January 25, 2014

The "No Tilling" Method Begins


This morning, I installed a shiny new trailer hitch on my Jeep, borrowed my son's 10-foot trailer, and headed to the garden center for straw bales and alfalfa pellets.  My intention was to buy 20 bales of straw, but The Husband said he didn't think I could get 20 bales on that trailer, so I just asked for 10 bales at the garden center counter.  (It turned out that I easily got 10 bales on the trailer, with room for at least 6 more.)  Bought two 50-pound bags of alfalfa pellets.

I took everything straight to the garden, unloaded the trailer, and started to work.  I laid sections of newspaper right over the existing debris, separated the straw bales into patties and laid them on top of the newspaper, then sprinkled alfalfa pellets on top of the straw.  I ran out of newspaper before I got the first row covered.  Two bales of straw did a little over half of a 75-foot row.  Looks like I'm going to need more straw.

Also, I can't help but suspect that the deer are going to come eat the straw and the alfalfa pellets before they get a chance to decompose.  We'll see.

The weather is supposed to be reasonably nice tomorrow, so I'll raid Nanny's newspaper stash and finish the straw-spreading job before it turns cold again.





No comments:

Post a Comment