Thursday, April 30, 2015

Green beans, okra, cucumbers, and Gloria


Say hello to Gloria, the newest tenant in the garden shed. 

I've never had a female tiller before, and I'm not sure how I'm going to like her. 

For starters, though I actually went to a store to buy her, she came out in a box, in a state of dishabille, not wearing her wheels or her handle.  I had to take the top off my Jeep to get her in it - not that I minded riding "topless" on this gorgeous, warm afternoon, but I may mind it in the morning when it's 60 degrees and I'm driving to work. 

She came with her own bottle of oil and a package of fuel stabilizer that I added to our existing gas can.  I filled her up, pumped her little fuel button a few times, and yanked.  It didn't crank on the first 5 pulls, but it did after a few more tries.

My intention today was to loosen up a row I tilled with the big tiller yesterday.  When I lined her up and hit the throttle, she immediately buried herself up in the soil, and I couldn't push her forward.  Eventually, I turned her around and went down the row backwards.

On firmer soil, which was plowed, disked, and tilled two weeks ago, she didn't bury herself up quite so easily.  I was able to work the soil going forward by letting the tiller run ahead and then dragging it backwards toward me as the tines turned.

She quit a few times during the job, but cranked right back up again.  Still, it peeved me that she quit.  Maybe she just needed to get her fluids flowing, or maybe I didn't have a throttle lever in the right spot.  We'll see how she does on the next job before we judge her.

Today I planted two rows of green beans, two short rows of okra, and six hills of cucumbers.  As I looked down those two long rows of green beans, I thought about how long it's going to take to pick them, and wished I'd planted two half rows today, and two half rows a couple of weeks later.  Pop-Pop used to tell me not to plant the whole garden at once, but I just can't seem to get that through my thick head.  I need to plant more squash, and some other beans and peas, but I'm going to try to force myself to wait a week or two, so everything won't come in at once.

No comments:

Post a Comment