Friday, April 24, 2015

Rainy Day Tomatoes


Earlier this week, a fellow told me that he already has green beans beginning to run up their poles.  When I accused him of lying, he swore he was telling the truth. 

It made me feel bad about my own garden.  On that very day, my garden contained only 12 drowning tomato plants and 12 hills of crookneck squash seeds which had not yet sprouted.  I resolved to get busy this week, weather permitting.  For the first time ever, I made a scaled drawing of my garden and laid the rows out on paper.  I bought 12 more tomato plants, some pepper plants, and some herbs.  The soil was too wet to plant them that day.  It was still a tad too damp when I came home from work today, but I planted everything, anyway.  I wanted to get some seeds in the ground, too, but a rain shower came up just as the last two plants were going in the ground, so I high-tailed it.  It rained enough to soak my shirt before I could put away the tools and gather up the debris.

And now that I am inside and dry, the rain has stopped, and I'm considering having another go at getting some of those seeds in the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment