Monday, August 21, 2017

From the back porch - August 21, 2017


Happy solar eclipse day!

I live and work in an area outside of the totality path, but our eclipse was about 90%, and it was still very cool to witness. 

I promised Nanny that I would pick the green beans this afternoon after work.  I came home, put on my lounge pants, and smoothe forgot about picking beans.  About an hour ago, it hit me.  I put on some capri jeans and some loafers and went to the garden with my picking sacks.

Nanny was already in the garden, cutting okra, and as I was walking toward the bean rows, I was praying that I'd gotten there in time, that she hadn't picked them already.  But as I neared the rows, I was relieved to see clumps of beans still hanging on the vines.  I said "hey" and got to picking. 

Thirty seconds later, I felt my feet stinging and looked down to find them covered with red ants.  I'd been standing right on the ant hill!  Thankfully, they had not yet made their way up my legs, for I would have embarrassed myself, right there in front of Nanny, if I'd had ants in my pants.

We ended up with about 4 gallons of green beans and a gallon of okra.  I brought it all home.  Tomorrow, I will be canning beans and looking for some folks who like okra.

No comments:

Post a Comment