Tuesday, January 2, 2018

January 2, 2018


Well, I have knitted myself the ugliest pair of house shoes in the world.


I have used this pattern multiple times.  It requires 100% wool yarn.  The pattern makes shoes that would fit Big Foot until they've been washed in hot water, at which time the wool shrinks, and the shoes become thick and toasty warm.  They stretch a bit with wear but can be washed and re-shrunk. 

The first pair I knitted (a few years ago) was PERFECT - nice medium blue color, fit just right, etc.   The Husband (whose feet are not much larger than mine) coveted them and promptly claimed them for himself, and then did not wear them.  I confiscated them back and eventually wore holes in both soles.  Two weeks ago, when the little toe on my right foot bore a new hole and poked out of the side of the shoe like it was hitch-hiking, I started another pair with the only 100% wool yarn I had at hand, camouflage yarn I'd intended to use for a man's toboggan some day. 

Nothing about this pair is perfect.  For starters, they're butt ugly.  And, because I made a mistake in binding off the knitting, when I washed them in hot water, the opening got too tight before the soles got small enough, resulting in 1" "spoilers" at the heels. 



I ended up snipping around the openings to loosen the fit around my ankles.

And, because the shoes did not shrink quite enough, they are a little drafty.



But I have resolved for 2018 to look for silver linings in dark clouds.  In this instance, I can expect with a fair amount of confidence that The Husband will not be coveting these shoes.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment