Monday, January 11, 2021

From the kitchen table - January 11, 2021

 I am seriously tired of this cold weather.  Just had to get that on the record.

My kids gave me a paint-by-number thing for Christmas.  It's a landscape, and it's so detailed that I have to use a magnifying glass to read the numbers.  There is not a paintbrush in existence that is small enough to accurately fill in the tiny sections.  To top it off, my hand shakes.  After a few hours of working on the painting, I finally gave up trying to be precise and started approximating the outlines.  The painting is close to finished.  I'll show you when it's done.

I spent this weekend either painting or practicing my mandolin.  I signed up for an online beginner mandolin course and a theory course.  You might think that after 4-5 years of piano lessons and 3 years in a high school band I'd have the theory down, but I don't; I did not care about theory, I just wanted to play.  It looks like this theory class is going to improve my playing more than the mandolin class.

By this time next week, we should have a new granddaughter.  She has been giving her mother all kinds of trouble for the past month.  I am not sure when we will get to meet her, given the covid concerns.  Her mom is quarantining in advance of her birth and may not want any visitors for a while.  She is predicted to weigh more than 9 pounds at birth, even though she'll get here a couple of weeks early.  I should probably go buy her some new clothes, for she won't fit those newborn sleepers for long!  She will be daughter #4 for my son and his wife. 

We're having short days at work this month.  Because of the covid spread, state courts are not having any in-person hearings except for emergencies. It's a weird world.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment