Sunday, February 20, 2022

Pop-Up Dawg - February 21, 2022

Despite last week's news about the possibility of a new job, I continue to look for some crafting activity that will both keep me busy and make some money - or at least pay for itself - when I finally do retire.  One google led to another until I found myself watching videos about making pop-up cards and books.  I ended up downloading a couple of templates for pop-up cards - one with flowers, and one with a dog.

The instructions said that the templates are not for commercial use.  That's quite alright, as I don't intend to sell cards - not these cards, anyway - I just wanted to see how they work.  Same deal with the pop-up dog.  

I started with the flower card because it's pretty.  The templates were designed to be printed, cut out by hand, and assembled.  The cutting was too tedious to attempt with scissors and/or a craft knife.  It seemed reasonable to scan the templates and cut them out with my cutting machine.  

That might have worked if I knew more about the cutting machine and the software.

Long story short, it took me half the day to assemble the flower card.  Late that evening, I started on the dog.  It turned out to be a wrinkled mess.  The next day was my son's birthday, and I had the big idea to make him a pop-up dog birthday card.  

Ten hours later, I produced a fairly correct card.  Oh, I was so proud of myself.  But it needed something for the front of the card.  I printed out a birthday message and slapped it on the card.  I even made an envelope for it.  

During those 10 hours, I baked my son a birthday cake.  Later that afternoon, when we took the cake to him, I handed him the card, so proud of myself.  When he pulled it out of the envelope, I discovered that the birthday message was upside down.

Yeah, maybe I won't do a card business.


No comments:

Post a Comment