Friday, November 11, 2022

Veteran's Day - November 11, 2022

I have the day off from work today.  Thanks to the Veterans for that, and for many other privileges.

It is wonderful to have the day off.  My job is the pits, so far.  The wheels of government turn slowly, and the work I've been hired to do can't be done until a mountain of other things get done.  Thus, my days are full of a lot of thumb-twiddling and trying to look busy.  It's not much fun.  :(

I promised myself that I'd sleep late this morning, but my eyes popped open at 5:45, and I got up, turned the coffee pot on, and read for a while.  I'm reading another "Lanny Budd" book - maybe the 4th in the series, with a couple more to go.  In light of all of the political turmoil going on in this country right now, these books are a little scary.

* * * * * * * * 

Granddaughter #1 sent her school jacket over here yesterday, asking me to sew on some patches she's acquired over the years - band competitions, school letters, etc.  Her school's football team is undefeated this year and is in the playoffs, playing at home tonight.  Since the band will be there, and since it will be cold, I figured I'd better get those patches sewn on so that she can have her jacket tonight.  I'll run it over to her later today, and maybe pick up two of her little sisters to keep while their parents go to the ballgame.

Our yard and sidewalks and driveway are absolutely carpeted with leaves.  When it warms up later today, you'll find me leaf-blowing the sidewalks and driveway, but I am saving the leaves in the yard for one more day.

You see, we have this armadillo problem.  Every night at dark, it comes out.  I can hear him rustling through the leaves.  The Husband doesn't like to shoot at night, so we have tried to trap it, but he has evaded us so far.  He has a regular path through the yard.  A friend has suggested that we make a V-shaped barricade that will funnel the critter right into the trap.  I'm going to try that tonight, and if the set-up works, we'll leave it in place, for I'm pretty sure there's more than one armadillo roaming the property.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment