Sunday, January 1, 2023

New Year -- January 1, 2023

What a lovely, warm, sunny day this New Year Day has been.  

But my New Year's Day dinner didn't turn out as planned.

I spent most of yesterday cooking, anticipating that I'd be feeding a dozen relatives today.  Made a double batch of everything.  We put the extra leaves in the kitchen table, got down a few extra chairs from the attic.  Set up a card table and chairs in the living room.  Timed everything just right for a 1:00 seating.

3 people showed up to eat.

Just before the 1:00, when everyone was supposed to be here, Son #2 called and said that they were all feeling puny and were going to stay home.  Son #1 showed up without any children.  

<sigh>

A funny thing happened, though, that gave us all a good laugh.

Since we were going to be eating black-eyed peas, I made cornbread - two big pans full.  My stove has two ovens - a biscuit oven and a big oven.  I use the biscuit oven all the time, but the last time I used the big oven was Thanksgiving, when I cooked a big ham.  Had to lower the oven rack to get the ham in.  When The Husband was helping me put the big cornbread skillets in the oven, he asked if he should raise the oven rack.  I said yes.  He put the cornbread skillets in the oven, and when the cornbread was done and I took the skillets out, the cornbread was REALLY THICK on one side, and REALLY THIN on the other.  I could not figure out what happened until my daughter-in-law noticed that the oven rack was crooked.  

By that time, I was so irked about the lack of dinner guests that I didn't care about the cornbread.  We just all had a big laugh.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment