Saturday, April 27, 2024

Oh, dear . . . April 27, 2024

After lunch yesterday, The Husband and I went down to Nanny's to check on the garden.  There's nothing planted in it yet, except for a few broccoli and cabbage seedlings that I planted before we left on our trip.  I was hoping that the ground would be dry enough to work, and that the tomato seedlings I left in Nanny's care would have grown enough to transplant to the garden.  

As soon as we drove up, I noticed that the mole trap I'd set in Nanny's yard two weeks ago had been sprung.  The Husband pulled it out of the ground and, sure enough, there was a mole in it.  The scissor-like blades had closed on its back end, and it was still alive and kicking.  Neither of us wanted to "off" it with a shovel.  I laid the trap on its side, with the mole dangling upside-down, hoping gravity would somehow do the trick, but it continued to squirm.  I left it where it was and went to check on the garden.

The broccoli and cabbage plants were doing fine.  The soil was dry enough to work in most places, but the low end was still a little damp.  If the tomatoes were ready, I intended to plant them.  I went in search of the seedlings.  They were not on the back porch.  They were not on the front porch.  They were not under a tree or anywhere else they should've been.  I thought, Oh, please, please, let them not be in the house.

They were in the house. 

Nanny had moved them inside one night when the temperature went down to 38 degrees, and never took them back outside.

They'd been on the dining room table since about the third day of our trip, more than a week. 

They'd barely grown a millimeter and were a sickly yellow color.  

On the bright side, three or four lavender seeds had sprouted (I wasn't expecting any of them to sprout).  They were leggy and pale, too.

I loaded the trays into the back of my car and brought them home.  Hopefully, they're not too far gone to perk up, but it's going to be a while before they're big enough to go in the ground. 

I wanted The Husband to fire up the tractor and run the tiller over the soil one more time, but we had some other things that we needed to do, so we put it off until today.

And it rained again last night.  


No comments:

Post a Comment