Friday, April 26, 2024

There's No Place LIke - April 26, 2024

HOME!

Made it here around 8 last night.

The best three days of the trip were the last three.  My BFF picked me up at the hotel at 10 Tuesday morning.  We spent the rest of that day and most of the next sitting on our butts and drinking margaritas on the patio.  The weather could not have been more pleasant.  

She has three retrieving dogs who initially tried to rope me into their little games.  Having once owned a retrieving dog, I knew what I'd be in for if I threw even one thing:  slobber, dog breath.  When the first one brought me a frisbee, I just said, "Nope, ain't gonna do it."  The dog nudged me with the frisbee:  Do you not see me standing here? Come on, throw it, throw it.  Same thing with the other two.  I held firm. By the time I left yesterday, there was only an occasional Maybe just once? before they'd take it to their "mama" to throw.  

Did I mention the puppy?  Eight-week-old ball of fur.  Cutest thing you ever saw.  BFF pretended that she wanted us to take him home with us, but we knew she was only kidding: we would not have made the cut as puppy-owners if we'd turned in a resume.  The Husband and I have been pet-free (except for occasional grand-pet-sitting) for a long time, but we've had pets over the years, none of whom have lived in the house, except for unusual circumstances such as bad weather or a surprise litter from a teenage hussy rescue kitten we'd thought was too young to bear offspring.  BFF knows how it is around here and wouldn't have sent the furball home with us if we'd begged her.  

We started for home around noon, avoiding highways, and canty-cornered our way across northwestern Georgia and into Alabama, some of the most beautiful scenery one could want.  Highway 72 runs straight across northern Alabama and Mississippi.  At Corinth, around 6 p.m., we stopped for dinner, then drove straight north into Tennessee from there, missing big towns all the way home.

My plan for today was to plant the vegetable garden, but it rained here yesterday and the soil will be too wet to work.  I am anxious to find out how my seedlings, which I left in Nanny's care, have fared.  I'm also anxious to see how the sugar snap peas are doing in the community garden.  They were about 2" tall when we left on our trip.  They'll need staking soon.  I will look for staking supplies this weekend and do the job Monday, if I can.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment