Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sprouts!

The radishes are up.

At least, I think they're radishes.

You see, I did not mark the rows when I planted seeds two weeks ago, thinking that everything would pop right out of the ground before I forgot what I planted where. Right.

To be honest, I thought I planted larkspur where these seedlings are growing. It would have made sense to plant them there, along the edge of the garden, out of the way of the tiller when the time comes to plant summer vegetables, but, as you may have guessed, I do not always behave sensibly in the garden. I'll be able to tell what they are, for sure, when the next set of leaves emerges; if it's larkspur, the next set of leaves will be fern-y. For now, though, seeing that these babies have reddish stems, I'm betting they're radishes.

The sweet peas need to be planted. I'm torn between wading into the mud to punch them into the wet ground and waiting until it's dry enough to run the tiller down the rows one more time. The sensible thing would probably be to wait....


In my yard, the first wave of daffodil blooming is in progress. Most of what is blooming now are old varieties that I dug up from cow pastures where old houses used to sit. While the fancy, store-bought bulbs are only just thinking about blooming, the "old faithfuls" are already in full swing. The exception to the "store-bought" rule is my "mini-daffodils." These little guys are early bloomers, and are too cute for words. They're not much taller than crocus, but their visual impact is surprisingly big. They multiply well. They need dividing, but I'm always too busy with vegetables when the time comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment