Thursday, May 6, 2010

My Garden Needs Waders

After supper last night, I rode my bike down to the garden to see how it was faring. 

Ugh.  It's not pretty.

Most of the tomatoes are yellow and limp, victims of the standing water in the garden.  I don't know whether I should yank them out and re-plant or wait to see what these will do when the ground dries.  One or two of the poor, sickly things even have small tomatoes on them.

The squash, okra, and purple-hull peas are up.  Two of the squash hills may need replanting.  It's odd to me that I planted all of the hills on the same day, with the same package of seeds, five seeds to a hill, and some of the hills have four to five plants in them, and some have none at all.  Maybe it's Mother Nature's way of telling me, "Dont plant everything at once, dingbat."  I had thought about transplanting from the crowded hills to the empty ones, but, on second thought, it might be interesting to plant new seeds and see whether they make a later crop or catch up with the old ones planted several weeks ago.

On the front row of the garden, we planted sunflowers (both giant and dwarf), zinnas, and marigolds.  Those seeds have sprouted well all the way down the row and should be very pretty this summer, if we can keep the grass out.

In the early garden, some of the broad beans are acting weird (the leaves are turning a funny color, and the tops look withered); others are fine, so far.  The sweet peas are beginning to bloom. 

Oh, and I found some larkspur seedlings yesterday!  There might have been more had I not given up on them and trampled that row.

I finally got around to setting out the pale, leggy stevia plant that spent a week in my car then a week on my kitchen counter.  My sister thinks we should use it to invent a sugar-free margarita.  I think any idea with the word "margarita" in it is worthy of investigation.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment