Sunday, May 2, 2010

Rain and more rain

Boy, howdy, has it ever rained!

The rain started some time after I went to bed last night.  When I looked out of my kitchen window this morning, water was streaming across my patio.  A little while later, my brother-in-law stopped by and reported that the creek between our two houses was out of its banks and had swept away things in his yard, including a 4-wheeler.  (As I am uphill of the creek and had not been outside, I had not seen the flood.)  Before long, other family members were calling to warn us about flooded roads, and friends were sending pictures of flooded neighborhoods.  Tonight, the local news reported that we'd received about 10" of rain since yesterday, and that many homes in the area had been evacuated because of flooding.  There have been several flood-related deaths across the state.  More rain is predicted for tomorrow.  My heart goes out to those families who are grieving and displaced.  I pray that no more damage occurs.

About 5 p.m., during a break in the rain, I went to the early garden to pull up a few green onions and some parsley for a salad.  Since the early garden is on a hill, it was not terribly muddy, and nothing looked drowned.  I managed to get to the onions and parsley without losing my shoes in the mud.  The big garden, however, is on a flat spot, and I am worried that it is standing in water.  When I checked it a couple of days ago, the squash seeds were beginning to sprout.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will not lose them to the rain, as we did last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment