Saturday, May 22, 2010

Well, I tried....

True to yesterday's resolution (about tending the garden), as soon as breakfast was done, The Husband and I got busy trying to crank the big red tiller.  We huffed it full of starter fluid until the can was empty, and it would fire off, time after time, but would not continue to run once it had burned up the starter fluid.  When we ran out of starter fluid, we used gas, instead; same deal.  We finally gave up and pushed it down Pop-Pop's l-o-n-g driveway, thinking he might have some ideas.  He didn't.

Standing in his workshop, I looked around at the various lawnmowers, tillers, and weedeaters that he'd taken apart, and thought to myself, He'll never get all this stuff fixed.  I talked The Husband into going back to our house for the truck, and, using Pop-Pop's hydraulic lifting thing (a come-along?), we loaded the big tiller and our push mower (which Pop-Pop has been tinkering on for two weeks) into the truck and hauled them to a repair shop. 

While waiting for the truck, I noticed the four unfinished cabinets that I'd bought last year and stored in Pop-Pop's shed until I could get time to paint them.  They've been sitting there, collecting dust and spare parts, taking up precious floor space in the shed.  When we came back from the repair shop, we loaded the cabinets into the truck and brought them to our patio.  "What are you going to do if it rains?" The Husband asked me.  I looked at him as if he'd lost his mind.  The sun was shining, the sky was blue.  "It's not going to rain!" I told him. 

We finished up a little yardwork - some weed-eating and sawing off some low tree limbs - and started to work on the cabinets.  Before I'd finished sanding the first one, it rained.  We grabbed the cabinets and rushed into the kitchen with them.  By the time we'd gotten them all indoors, the rain stopped.  We hauled them back out again, finished the sanding, and slapped two coats of paint on them.  Two down, two to go.  I have some plywood to use for the tops.  It'll need to be cut to size, but Pop-Pop has a saw for that.   Tomorrow, we'll go to the home repair store, buy some tile to lay atop the plywood, and (hopefully) find a book or internet instructions on how to lay tile.

No comments:

Post a Comment