Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Rain!



It rained Monday night.  The garden needed it, but I wish it would've waited one day, for I'd sprayed for tomato worms a few hours earlier.  I don't know whether to spray again or wait and see if the little green devils ate enough supper that night to kill them.  I'll probably wait, since (1) I hate using pesticides, and (2) I'm lazy.

Temperatures are cooler this week - low 90s instead of high 90s.  Yesterday was wonderful, with sunshine and a nice breeze.  As soon as I came home from work, I went to the garden.  The butterpeas - rather, some of the butterpeas - were ready for picking.  I haven't shelled them, yet, but I'm guessing this picking will make enough for a 2-person supper.  The plants still have loads of pods on them, and plenty more blooms, so we should get another picking or two.

The purple-hull peas have about "done their do," as my mother says.  One day soon, I'm going to pull up the vines, till the rows, and find something else to plant in their place.

Something has eaten most of the leaves off of the green beans.  They may put back on after this rain.  I'll give them a few days before I yank them up.

Still waiting on tomatoes.


No comments:

Post a Comment