Wednesday, August 31, 2011

SkeeterVac Review #4

The SkeeterVac ran out of gas over 2 months ago.  We were about to leave the next morning for a short vacation, and didn't want to fool with the machine.  Over the next few weeks, daytime temperatures hovered around the 100-degree mark, and we didn't hang out in the yard much, so we weren't encountering any mosquitoes, anyway.  Replacing the gas tank on the SkeeterVac hasn't even been in our thoughts.  Now that the heat is beginning to relent, we're starting to venture out again, and since we have not had the SkeeterVac running, the mosquito population growth has been unhampered.

Last Sunday at dusk, when The Husband and I were puttering around outside, he said, "I'm going in. The 'skeeters are eating me up!"


"We need to crank the SkeeterVac back up," I commented, as I followed him inside.

Yesterday, I picked up a new gas tank.  After installing it, I changed out the TacTrap and put in a fresh bait cartridge.  Happily, the machine started on the first try. 

You should have seen the old TacTrap.  While I didn't see many mosquitoes stuck to it, I did see loads of horseflies (which I loathe more than mosquitoes), houseflies, and crickets.  There was even a dried-up skink stuck to it.  Sadly, there were also a couple of rows of feathers from a bird's wing.  (Poor bird probably thought he'd found some easy pickin's.)  All that was in the trap drawer was dust and fuzz, stuff that was in there before the gas bottle ran out.

Theoretically, I guess we're starting over in trying to decimate the mosquito population around here.  Before the heat drove us indoors, we were not seeing many mosquitoes in our yard, but neither was I encountering many in the garden, which is far outside the SkeeterVac's reach.  Had the SkeeterVac been doing its job, or has this simply been a slow year for 'skeeters?  Hard to say.  We have never seen mass quantities of mosquitoes stuck to the TacTrap or in the trap drawer - nothing that even distantly approached the drawer-full of mosquito carcasses shown in promotional videos.  But we have also (until recently) not been eaten alive by mosquitoes in our yard.  Perhaps the real test will come in the next few weeks, now that the mosquitoes seem to be out in force.

* * * * * *

On the gardening front, I mailed a garden soil sample to the University of Tennessee yesterday.  I am hoping that the results will come back about the time the garden poops out so that I can amend the soil for next year's garden.

Monday afternoon I tilled up the green bean rows and would've done the same to the purple-hull peas except that they had a "mess" of peas still on the vines.  Nanny picked them while I weeded the tomatoes.  The black-eyed peas need to go, too, but their vines are massive and should be mowed, first.  The butterbeans and butterpeas are still producing, so I'll leave them alone a while longer.

The squash is kaput, except for the zuccinis.  The okra is still making like crazy. 

The raccoons have gotten every single ear of corn, so far.  I'd be mad, except that I knew when I planted the corn that the 'coons would get it.  This year's corn crop, such as it was, is a dwarf variety, seeds that I bought half price at the end of the season last year.  The whole plant is barely waist high, and the little ears aren't two feet off the ground; the 'coons don't even have to break a sweat to reach them.  If I plant corn again next year, you can bet it's going to be giant stuff that the 'coons will have to work to get.

As for the tomatoes....    I sprayed fungicide to combat late blight over the weekend.  This may sound weird, but Monday when I went to work in the garden, there already seemed to be less of that throbbing, yellow-ish glow that a full-swing blight infestation seems to emit.  The top two-thirds of the tomato plants still look healthy, and the plants are still blooming, so maybe we'll get more ripe tomatoes this season.

The tomato vines have been outrageously large and lush this year, spilling over their cages and trailing onto the ground, but they haven't produced all that much fruit.  I blamed it on over-fertilizing until I heard other gardeners complaining of the same issue.  Uncle Jack says that he has lopped off some of his tomatoes to see what will happen, and they are doing well, so far.  I'd thought about doing that, myself, and may yet try it with a couple of the plants.  I'll let you know what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment