Friday, May 4, 2012

Fences

Last year, Pop-Pop had one of The Nephews sink some metal fence posts in the ground around the garden.  They then strung a series of wires between the posts, and electrified it, and sat back to watch the executions. 

The electric fence didn't last long, but the posts still stand, unwilling to come out of the ground for anyone interested in getting them out of the ground.  Yesterday, I looked at them and decided to put some hog wire between a couple of them and grow something on it.  I was torn between planting gourds and butternut squash.  The squash won.

Lately, every time I think about butternut squash, I think about my brother. 

My brother moved out of the boonies and into the city in his early 20s to pursue a law career.  Now that he's semi-retired, he has moved to the semi-boonies and, for the past few years, has been trying his hand at vegetable gardening.  Far be it from me to tease him about his gardening skills.  He's doing right well, in fact.  But last year, during a summer cookout, he complained that his yellow squash plants were producing faulty fruits.  "They're all turning brown before they mature," he said.  "I've had to throw away every one of them."  I asked him to show me.

Um-hmmm...you guessed it; he'd planted butternut squash, not yellow squash.

Isn't it fun when really smart people do really dumb sh*t?  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment