Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Happy Carrot Day!

Guess what?  WE HAVE CARROTS!  Having never actually seen a growing carrot, I almost didn't recognize them and *almost* chopped them down when I was weeding today - had the hoe poised to decapitate them when it occurred to me what they were. 

I replanted the butterbeans today.  Only 1/3 of the original planting have come up.  As I was digging a drill between the skips, I uncovered a good many beans which had swollen and shot out a tap root.  Maybe I planted them too deep.  In any case, I planted about three times as many seeds as I needed to fill the gaps, hoping that enough will sprout to fill out the rows. 

Sunday, I discovered that one of my store-bought tomatoes was withering and had spots on the leaves.  I yanked him out and tossed him in the woods.  All the rest of the plants look healthy.  The "volunteers" have tomatoes on them, already, some almost big enough to fry.  Today, I sprayed fungicide again.

The corn is about a foot tall now.  I have packets of zucchini and rattlesnake beans that I intend to plant soon.  Before I plant the beans, I want to pick Uncle Jack's brain about their growing habits, as he grows them and will know how they act.  Maybe I'll see him at the softball field before the week is up, and we can talk a little gardening before our granddaughters' games.

Lastly, I'll send out a great big "thank-you" shout to whoever sharpened my hoe.  I sho'nuff appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment